Roberts is one of the founders of the crisis intervention model used by most clinicians today. Here are the steps defined:
1) ASSESS for safety/suicidality and provide a brief biopsychosocial assessment
2) Continue to develop RAPPORT by being empathetic and warm
3) IDENTIFY PROBLEM/what lead to crisis and what other problems are concerning them at that moment
4) Address FEELINGS and allow client to vent while validating and actively listening
5) Identify ways they will COPE with situation and how they have coped with difficulties in past
6) Create an ACTION PLAN with client, time to come to terms with crisis and attempt to resolve
7) FOLLOW-UP with client via phone, in-office counseling, etc..
Learn more about crisis intervention by clicking here!